Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Brilliance Of Simplicity

For the record, I've decided to start putting my film and literature criticism blogs here with my political blog because hell, art has so much to do with social criticism that in many cases, they are indivisible.

That may or may not be the case with video games like Resident Evil 5 and Dead Space.

At any rate, my discussion here is going to be specifically about gameplay, so if you want some kind of commentary, feel free to stop reading now.

The great thing about Dead Space is that you have to aim at the monsters' limbs instead of the head or the body.

Why is this such a brilliant goddamn move, you ask?

Well, I'm glad you asked.
(I'm picturing you sitting in front of your computer asking, so if you could not kill that buzz, I'd appreciate it. I like the world I live in and who do you think you are, trying to rip me out of it? Stupid think you're better than me trying to tell me that nobody asked me why it's a brilliant move and nobody cares. Well, you go to hell. You go to hell and you die.)

What the hell was I talking about?

Oh, right.






Why is it such a brilliant goddamn move to make you aim at the monsters' limbs instead of the head or the body?

2 reasons:

First, it's just harder to aim. Their limbs are flailing about and their just longer and thinner and getting a bead on 'em is tricky.

Second, if you've been playing video games all this time, Dead Space is forcing you to go against all the instincts you've developed over years of having to aim for the head and body.

So yes, it's simple, but it makes this game one of the best I think I've played yet. And I'm only like half an hour into it.

Also for some reason, stomping on shit is very gratifying in this game. Go figure.

I have also decided to start letting you know what I'm listening to as I'm writing this shit. I'm listening to Einsturzende Neubauten if you didn't put together from the record cover above this paragraph. So yeah. Take that.

No comments:

Post a Comment