Thursday, January 8, 2009

Mixed Post-Election feelings & Prop 8 - 11/11/08

Of course, I'm angry about this, but I'm also saddened and disappointed.

I really don’t get it at all. What kind of threat to traditional marriage does gay marriage pose?

Like I'm going to wake up one morning, turn to Joia and say, “Baby, you’re my best friend and the love of my life. You are the reason I believe that we silly humans have souls because I know that I have a soul mate. We’ve been together for 16 years, we have two incredibly smart, kind children who we both love dearly and would readily die for. But honey, it’s just not gonna work out. There’s just too much butt sex in the world.”

I’m sorry, but if defending marriage was the motivation, they’d be dealing with issues like divorce, adultery, promiscuity, domestic violence and even poverty.

I am so proud of people I care about who refuse to take this sitting down.

They simply will not move to the back of the bus and they shouldn’t.

Every human right struggle has involved some measure of civil disobedience.

So, Mayor Newsom, keep issuing marriage licenses. Everyone else, stay in the streets. Bring it all across America. Bring it here to Missouri.

All of us, straight, gay, agnostic, Christian, atheist, black, white, etc. have to shout it from the mountaintop.

We refuse and we resist.

It doesn’t matter who you are because human rights are human rights and when there are Americans who do not have the rights that I have the luxury of taking for granted, we need to stand up.

This fight is not over.

No comments:

Post a Comment